Translate 翻譯

Wednesday 8 June 2022

Playmobil Detectives: Saigon Love Story-12

Despite her parents' strong opposition, Mai had been secretly meeting up with Hung every week since that argument. After some time, they both confirmed that their love for each other was absolutely earnest and definitely not merely "a childish fancy" as Mai's father called it.

Everyday, Mai's father would read the newspaper, which only confirmed his earlier conjectures that the Americans seemed to be losing and the situation continued to exacerbate as the Viet Cong became ever more threatening by the day.
 
One day, both Mai's parents left the house in order to sort out the final details of their immigration plan, so Mai invited Hung over to her house. 

"I have a present for you!" said Mai as she took out a locket necklace that contained a photograph of the couple which they took in a photo booth the previous week. "Happy one month anniversary!"

"Wow! This is beautiful! Thank you so much!" exclaimed Hung. "Sorry, I completely forgot about it! How time flies. It has only been one month that we have been together, but I already picture us together forever!"

The couple were sitting on the luxurious Victorian coach in the living room whilst holding hands when Hung suddenly became very serious and said: "Mai, I have something that I must let you know. As you may know from reading the news that the current situation of the war is not very optimistic. So, I have decided to join the army to help fight the Viet Cong."

"But....but it's too dangerous! What if.....what if you don't come back alive?" responded Mai, who was reluctant to agree at first. However, after seeing Hung's determination to help save their country, she acquiesced. "But promise me that you will come back alive, then we can go to America together. I simply cannot live without you. I will wait for you."

"I promise you, my darling. I will come back alive and then we will marry. Will you marry me?" answered Hung as he kneeled down on one knee and proposed as he produced a bracelet which he bought for Mai with all of his savings. Mai, who was so happy that she was lost for words, simply nodded shyly and they kissed.

Some weeks after Hung joined the army, the family received an unexpected visitor one early morning. The man was a soldier whose name was Vinh. 

"What is the purpose of your visit?" enquired Mai's father. 

"I am here to inform you with regret that, unfortunately, my comrade Hung was lost in action," said Vinh. "We were running across this field and suddenly, a landmine exploded near him. Unfortunately, the military doctors were unable to save his life. Before he left us, he told me this address and asked me to inform a girl named Mai, whom he mentioned was his fiancée."

Mai, who was descending the stairs, heard Vinh's words and quickly dashed into the living room. "What did you say? Hung is......dead!? That's impossible! He....he promised me he will come back alive! You...you must be mistaken! I.....I don't believe you!" Mai broke into a fit of frenzy. 

"Before he left us to go to heaven, he gave me this," continued Vinh as he tried in vain to restrain his tears, which trickled down his cheeks, whilst he took out a locket necklace. "He told me that this was a present given to him by his fiancée before they parted, and he always had it with him by his side."

The moment Mai set eyes upon the necklace, which she recognised it immediately as the one she had given to Hung, she broke down into tears and believed every single word of Vinh. Mai was so devastated that she did not perceive her father and Vinh exchanging secret glances.

~To be Continued~

No comments:

Post a Comment